Are you excited about your dental implant procedure?
You should be! The dental implants will make your smile more beautiful and hence, elevate your confidence and self-esteem levels, making you more successful in life. However, to get a beautiful smile and enjoy the maximum benefits from your dental implants, you must ensure proper dental implant care and maintenance after the implant placement. Practicing good oral hygiene is vital to ensure the longevity of dental implants. Good oral health starts before, during, and after implant placement.
How to do your dental implants care and maintenance?You have to adhere to the following care recommendations at home to have long-lasting implants –
1. Switch to A Soft Nylon Brush.You might have to swap your toothbrush to a nylon toothbrush after having implants. This is because nylon toothbrushes have pliable bristles and are gentle on your dental implants. Additionally, gently brush the implant site to avoid injuring the surgical site. You can use an interdental brush to clean the hard-to-reach regions surrounding your dental implants. Stop using toothbrushes with stiff bristles for brushing your teeth since they will scrape the surface of the implants. This will lead to food accumulation and ultimately, compromise the implant healing.
2. Don’t Use Hard or Abrasive Products For Dental Implant CareOnce you have the implants, you will have to purchase gentle cleaning items like toothpaste or mouthwash. Overly abrasive materials can irritate the tissues around dental implants and cause pain. It is better to avoid oral hygiene items with intense flavors, such as mint or cinnamon, as these can irritate the tissues and cause discomfort.
3. Floss Your Teeth Everyday as a part of your dental implant care and daily maintenance routineStudies indicate that 84% of people don’t floss sufficiently! If you are a part of this figure, and now you have dental implants, it is time to reconsider. Flossing is crucial for dental implants’ success. This is because if there is plaque accumulation around your implants, it will compromise gum health and affect the healing process of dental implant care and preservation. However, the good news is that flossing is simple, and there are different flosses available that are specially made for people who have dental implants. If you need guidance or instructions about flossing, ask our dental team. They will provide you a demo about flossing and answer all your questions in a friendly manner.
4. Refrain from smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages.Avoiding smoking and alcohol is always a healthy habit for your well-being. However, it is essential to avoid these substances if you are having implants. Remember that it takes around six months for your dental implants to recover, so smoking during this phase is detrimental to your implant recovery. Additionally, consuming alcohol has been found to slow the healing phase of dental implant care, so it has to be stopped.
5. Add scheduled regular dentist visits as a part of dental implant careDental implants will change the appearance of your face and enhance your smile. However, they are not a panacea for all oral health problems. You have to visit your dentist at least twice a year to understand your oral health better. Dental implants will last a lifetime with good dental implant care and routine visits to the dentist.
Your dental implant care is relatively easy, and most of the care is done at home.
If you have any concerns about dental implant care and would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us right away. Our friendly staff is ready to answer all your questions and arrange a consulting appointment with Dr. Adatrow. Dr. Adatrow has more than 18 years of experience placing dental implants in Memphis, TN, and Desoto County, MS regions. He has a success rate of over 97% and can provide you with the best dental treatment and maintenance.